It’s Wassail Season
Wassail is one of the things our family most looks forward to in the holiday season. A tea-based, fruity drink, it is a refreshing change from hot cider, and with orange, cinnamon, and cloves it is as Christmas-y as it gets. Some versions of wassail contain alcohol, but this one is kid-friendly. With all the vitamin C and spices, wassail is a good immunity booster too. And did I mention wassail makes your house smell a-mazing?!? (It might also get that song stuck in your head, but that’s okay by me.)
My husband grew up drinking wassail with his family on Christmas Eve, as part of their advent celebration, when the final candle was lit. In our own family traditions, we start making batches of wassail as soon as the weather turns in the fall. In fact, we are heard to say, “Tis wassail weather today!” on grey and dismal days. It truly warms your bones and cheers your soul in the darkest months of the year and is something we look forward to each year.
We like to make gifts of wassail to our neighbors by filling recycled 2 quart honey jugs with a custom-created label for the front, and delivering them near Christmas Eve. It’s a great way to spread the holiday cheer with a unique and inexpensive gift.
The Christmas Wassail Recipe
- 1 quart hot, brewed black tea
- 1 quart apple juice
- 1 quart cranberry juice
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- several cinnamon sticks
- about 10 whole cloves
- orange slices for garnish if desired.
Steep 3 to 5 black tea bags in hot water for about 10 minutes and then remove tea bags; combine with all remaining ingredients except orange slices and stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to boil and simmer for at least 15 minutes but as long as you would like. Float orange slices on top of kettle if desired. Generally served hot, but also delicious cold.
Right now on WormeWoole’s Instagram you can enter to win a hand-lettered copy of the wassail recipe, a set of WormeWoole buffalo plaid upcycled wool coasters, an embroidered snowflake sweater wool ornament, a sample of my favorite locally roasted Arco Scandinavian coffee, and a pair of Lump of Coal hand warmers. (The coasters are for you, and the “naughty” hand warmers for your friend who is mostly likely to get in trouble. What you do with the rest of the goodies is up to you.) Click here to see the coal hand warmers (not pictured).
To Enter on Instagram:
- REQUIRED: Follow @wormewoole on Instagram here and like giveaway post here (one entry)
- REQUIRED: Comment on IG post with your favorite way to take your coffee or with what you prefer to drink instead of coffee (one entry)
- Optional: Tag friends to let them know about the giveaway (more tags = more entries)
- Optional: Share @wormewoole’s post on your own Instagram feed
To Enter on Blog & Pinterest:
This is an Instagram giveaway, so completing the first two steps above are required. If you would like additional entries, you may also do the following:
- Re-Pin this post to one or more of your Pinterest boards (you want to save the recipe, right?) and be sure to let me know you have done so. You can pin the handy dandy image below. (one entry)
- Follow WormeWoole on Pinterest (one entry)
- Comment below on this post here on the WormeWoole blog (one entry)
Follow @wormewoole on Instagram here.
Follow WormeWoole on Pinterest here.
Leave comments at the bottom of this post.
Giveaway ends on December 12, 2016, and is sponsored solely by WormeWoole. Winner will be picked by random drawing and notified on Dec. 13. Merry Christmas to you!