One of the questions I am asked most often is, “How many mittens do you get out of a sweater?” And the answer is…(drumroll please)…it depends on the size of the sweater! But no matter the size, all the sweaters used in WormeWoole’s creations are wool and must be felted first. If you would like to know how to felt wool sweaters in a washer + dryer for your own crafting, watch this WormeWoole video. I have many years experience felting more than a thousand sweaters and the techniques shown are my tried and true method.
Here are a few tips mentioned in the video for easy reference ~
- Remove any trim that would prevent shrinkage before felting
- Wash one color at a time
- Add jeans to the load to add friction and keep your machine in balance
- Start with warm water, and increase to hot as needed (to avoid over felting)
- Open seams with a scissors before drying
- Repeat as needed if not felted to your liking
Happy crafting + enjoy and keep warm!